Welcome

Welcome to my 3-Day for the Cure blog where I discuss my experience training, fundraising and walking in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. I'll be walking in my third 3-Day, this year in San Diego with my teammate Julie, who I met back in 2009 on the walk. I love sharing stories, challenges, frustrations and successes here and really enjoy hearing back from all of you.

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Motivational Monday - Highlights of the 2010 3-Day





As many of you know 2010 ended in a very busy and at times rather dramatic fashion, (cough, Matt's Thanksgiving day appendectomy, cough) but now that things have calmed down I am finally sitting down to write and reflect on the highlights of the 2010 3-Day.

The first thing that needs to be mentioned is the pouring rain that sunny San Diego experienced throughout the 3-Day. The rain definitely presented a new challenge for walkers but in the end both Julie and I agreed that it made the experience that much more special. Honestly it brought tears to your eyes to see the line of pink walkers with their shoes wrapped in anything waterproof they could find. Such dedication. I'm honored to have been a part of this!

Another highlight was Matt surprising us on my birthday (day 2) by meeting us at lunch, wearing a kilt, lots of pink, with his face painted (pink of course). After we ate lunch in his truck to escape the pouring rain, he walked the last 6 miles of the day with us. Julie and I realized that we got A LOT more attention walking with a man in a kilt. Good news is that we think we have him convinced to participate in future years. :-)

Day 3 was my favorite day by far. Although we experienced more rain, this time Julie and I were prepared after having wrapped our shoes in saran wrap and duck tape. We also decided to hustle throughout the day, push past lunch and meet Matt and my mom and dad at the finish line to share some Basic Pizza and beer before closing ceremony. Best idea ever. And best tasting pizza ever!

As always the people who support the San Diego 3-Day made the experience. It's amazing to me how many people in our community spend three days of their lives outside (this year in the pouring rain) cheering on walkers. Smile Guy and lil Grin, Hookers for Hooters, the dancing hula girls, ALL of them truly make the walk so much easier. As we completed the final mile to closing ceremony, and you walk past all the supporters, I think it would be impossible to not start crying. That's the moment when I realized that I cannot consider walking in another city if it means I would miss out on the support in this wonderful 3-Day city.

So next year I will celebrate my 30th birthday at closing ceremonies. Who wants to walk with me? Julie and I have already signed up and formed our Breast Coast Walkers team. Join us!

P.S. to see more pictures of our 3-Day experience check out my album on Facebook

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the shout out, best teammate ever!!! so excited!!! def have to plan a HUGE celebratory BASH after closing ceremonies!!!!!

    ReplyDelete