Welcome

Welcome to my 3-Day for the Cure blog where I discuss my experience training, fundraising and walking in the Susan G. Komen 3-Day for the Cure. I'll be walking in my third 3-Day, this year in San Diego with my teammate Julie, who I met back in 2009 on the walk. I love sharing stories, challenges, frustrations and successes here and really enjoy hearing back from all of you.

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Motivational Monday - One person really can make a difference

Once again I'm a day late with my post for Motivational Monday but honestly it coincides perfectly with the fact that today Nancy Brinker's (founder of Susan G. Komen for the Cure) book Promise Me hits bookstore shelves.

Most of you reading this blog know that Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen that she would do something to help the fight against breast cancer. What I think is so motivational about the story of Nancy and Susan is that one woman was able to make such an enormous impact. In 2009 Nancy was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Obama, who remarked "Nancy lay awake at night wondering if one person can really make a difference. Nancy's life is the answer."

This is why so many of us walk in the 3-Day each year - we know that we truly can make a difference.

I want to close with some words from the book where Nancy remembers how she first realized the power of fundraising and change. "It was my earliest inking of what goes into the chemistry of change: moment meets messenger, information becomes action. Hearts and minds shift to a new paradigm, money happens, and it all comes together." Look at how far her movement has come. I'm proud to be a part of this organization.

The publisher allows you to post a link to an excerpt from the first chapter of Promise Me. Be sure to check out the link if you're interested in reading this story.

Promise%20Me%20by%20Nancy%20G.%20Brinker%20-%20Excerpt

1 comment:

  1. After knowing you for as long as I have (nearly half my life) I know that you are truly a woman who can make a difference! I walked the 3-day last year partially for your birthday wish and partially because it was time to make a change in my life and boy has it ever. I have become a better person and a stronger woman becuase of the changes I've made and you are a large part of them so keep on changing the world one act at a time and it will become a better place.

    ReplyDelete